Description and Objectives
The Parent Support Group is a new program offered at the Centre for Literacy. Participants from the Parenting a Child with Learning Disabilities/Disorders workshop asked that the Parent Support Group be established. As active participants in the Parenting a Child Workshop, they wanted to keep the conversation and mutual support going. The purpose of the Parent Support Group is for parents (or caregivers) to help each other. Specific topics will be identified for discussion at each of the group sessions. The group will either be led by a parent or trained facilitator.
More information about the topics to be addressed at the Parent Support Group will be added in the weeks to come.
Parents, caregivers and grandparents of children with learning disabilities, and other possible co-existing conditions, who wish to gain support from and mutually help others in a similar situation.
Efforts are currently underway to seek a volunteer who can act in the role of facilitator.
It is anticipated that the size of the group will change based on the availability of individuals to attend and the topic under discussion. It is anticipated that the group will not exceed 10 individuals, including the facilitator.
Parent Support Groups will be held on the last Monday of the month.
The schedule for 2018-19 is as follows:
- Monday, May 28th, 2018-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, June 24th, 2018-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, July 30th, 2018-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, August 27th, 2018-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, September 24th, 2018-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, October 29th, 7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, November 26th, 2018-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, December 31st, 2018-(NO SESSION)
- Monday, January 28th, 2019-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, Feb 25th, 2019-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, March 25th, 2019-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, April 29th, 2019-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, May 27th, 2019-7 pm to 9 pm
- Monday, June 24th, 2019-7 pm to 9 pm
There will be no charge to attend the sessions.
Notice and Registration
The Centre for Literacy will email those who have signed up to be part of the Support Group, and other individuals who have expressed an interest on Wednesday of the week prior to the session to determine who will be attending. Notice about the topics will be advertised in advance on the Centre’s website, bulletin board and to the Centre’s distribution list.