The Centre for Literacy is pleased to introduce Word Play, an early intervention program designed to support kindergarten aged students who may be at risk for reading difficulties.
- Enhance phonological awareness
- Enhance vocabulary among kindergarten aged students who are exhibiting risk factors for future reading difficulties.
8 one hour sessions
Word Play is offered at various times in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. Dates of sessions are posted on the Centre for Literacy Website at www.Centre4Literacy.com.
Students Eligible for Word Play
- Students graduating from or entering Kindergarten in 2014.
- Students must be able to converse and understand English. English Language Learners are welcome if they have some ability to converse in English.
- Students must be able to socially engage in a group setting.
- Medically fragile students will be accepted if a responsible guardian remains in attendance for the duration of each session.
- The Word Play venue is wheel chair accessible. We are happy to accommodate students who require a wheel chair accessible venue.
- Students who fall into the exceptions categories (see below) may be accepted if they are accompanied by an assistant or aide who can provide direct support for the duration of the lesson to the student.
We regret that for the initial sessions of Word Play, we are unable to accept students who:
- have extreme behavioural issues (aggression)
- are extremely impulsive
- exhibit extreme separation anxiety
- have extreme sensory issues
- have selective mutism/are non-verbal
We want to work out the best possible way to support students who may have these exceptional needs as we recognize they could benefit from a program like Word Play. Please be patient with us as we investigate and acquire the resources to provide support to these groups of students in both a welcoming and effective manner.
Let’s work together: If your child falls within the exceptions category and you have some ideas on how we can accommodate his or her needs, please let us know. We aim to be as flexible as possible.
Pre and Post Session Assessments
Completion of a Pre Session Assessment is mandatory for all participants.
Assessments will be used to place student in appropriate Word Play levelled session and to evaluate program outcomes/student progress. Students will be assigned to either Word Play 1 or Word Play 2 depending upon the outcome of these assessments. This step is being taken to best meet the needs of Word Play participants. Assessments will take approximately 30 minutes to complete and are booked at the time of registration.
Participation will be limited to 8-10 students for Word Play 1 or Word Play 2.
$250 plus GST
Fees include pre and post session assessments. Fees are due at the time of registration.
- Registration forms may be downloaded from the Centre for Literacy Web Site.
- Payment (in full) is required at registration.
- Forms may be completed, scanned and emailed to info@Centre4Literacy.com