The Centre is pleased to once again offer its highly popular Study Skills and Exam Strategies workshops.These sessions will be of interest to all students in Junior and Senior High and at the Post Secondary Level. While these sessions are highly valuable to individuals affected by learning disabilities and executive function issues, they are popular with all types of learners, including students in academic challenge programs.
Forthcoming Workshops (Register in 1 only)
- Section 1: (Presented over 2 Tuesday evenings) September 27 & October 4th from 7-8:30 pm (completed!)
- Section 2: (Presented over 2 Tuesday evenings) November 8th and 15th from 7-8:30 pm (completed!)
- Section 3: (Presented over 2 Tuesday evenings) February 21 and 28th, 7:00-8:30 pm (rescheduled – spaces available!)
- Section 4: (Presented over 2 Tuesday evenings) April 18 & 25 from 7-8:30 pm
Cost: $75. There will be a 20% hold for any cancellations. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made within two weeks of the session.
Registration is for both Study Skills and Exam Strategies held over two evenings. Call the Centre for Literacy to register at 780-434-3698. Payment can be taken over the phone or added to existing client’s invoices.
Part One: Study Skills
This session is all about studying so it sticks! The secret to doing well at school is working smarter, not harder or longer. In this session, Iona will provide insight into how to:
- Uncover and capitalize on your own learning style
- Manage time like a pro
- Get and stay organized
- Create a plan to stay on top of work
- Take notes that make sense (to you at least!)
- Remember what you have studied
Part Two Exam Strategies
This session is designed to help you do better at preparing for and taking exams. For many students, exams do not reflect how well they may know a subject area. They “get” the subject matter, may perform very well on class assignments, but score significantly lower on exams. In this session, Iona will provide strategies on how to:
- Study for exams
- Manage exam anxiety and use it to advantage
- Figure out what is important to study
- Make the most out of multiple choice exams, essays, short answers or other types of exams
- Use exam banks and practice exams effectively
About the Presenter
Both workshops will be presented by Iona Thomas.
Iona has extensive experience as a reading specialist and learning strategist. She has worked with elementary aged children through to adults at the post-secondary level, the latter at NorQuest where she served for over a decade as a learning strategist. Her many responsibilities at NorQuest including providing support with learning strategies, exam preparation, and dealing with exam stress on a one to one basis and in group settings.
Now in semi-retirement, Iona began working at the Centre for Literacy in January 2015, and has been warmly welcomed for the skills she brings as a reading specialist and learning strategist.