Program Description and Objectives
The Study Skills and Exam Strategies Workshops are split into two sessions held over two evenings, normally a week apart.
The first session is on Study Skills. A secret to doing well at school is working smarter. In the first session, strategies will be provided on how to:
- Uncover and capitalize on learning styles
- Manage time like a pro
- Get and stay organized
- Create a plan to stay on top of work
- Take notes that make sense
- Remember what has been studied
The second session is on Exam Strategies and is all about preparing for and taking exams. For many students, exam outcomes may not reflect how well they know a subject area. Students may “get” the subject matter, perform very well on class assignments, but score significantly lower on exams. In this session, strategies will be provided on how to:
- Study for exams
- Manage exam anxiety and use it to advantage
- Figure out what is important to study
- Make the most out of multiple choice exams, essays, short answers or other types of exams
- Use exam banks and practice exams effectively
Students are provided with takeaway booklets for both parts of the workshop.
The Study Skills and Exam Strategies workshops will be of interest to students in junior and senior high or those at the post-secondary levels. The sessions are particularly valuable for students with learning disabilities, attention and organizational issues. However, the workshops will be of benefit to all learners.
The Study Skills and Exam Strategies Workshops are held at various times throughout the year. Our calendar of events may be accessed for information about scheduled Study Skills / Exam Strategies sessions and others designed for students, parents and the public.
Scheduled Workshops for 2018-19 are as follows:
- Tuesday, October 9th and Tuesday, October 16th from 7 pm to 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, February 6th and Wednesday, February 13th, 7 pm to 8:30 pm
$75 for both sessions. GST will be added to the fee. If two people register and pay at the same time, a 5% fee reduction will be applied to both registrants.
Contact the Centre for Literacy at 780-434-3698. Registration can be taken over the phone. Fees for the Study Skills and Exam Strategies Workshop can be added to monthly invoices of existing Centre for Literacy clients.