Program Description and Objectives
Number Sense is an early intervention numeracy program for Grade 1 and 2 students who are struggling with acquiring math fundamentals. The Number Sense Program uses play-based activities to reinforce counting, adding, subtracting, grouping and estimation skills. These skills are fundamental for math mastery. Number Sense is divided into two levels. It is recommended that students first complete Number Sense 1 before proceeding to Number Sense 2.
The target population for Number Sense is Grade 1 or 2 students for whom any of the following apply:
- They find math very difficult
- Their teachers believe they could benefit from support
- They are struggling with understanding basic math concepts
- Their parents perceive that they have delays in math
Program Staff and Size
Number Sense is staffed by a teacher and program assistant.The maximum number of participants is 10 to 12 students resulting in an adult-child ratio of 1 to 6.
Number Sense 1 and 2 is comprised of 8 - 1 hour sessions. Number Sense is offered at various times during the summer and throughout the school year. Our calendar of events may be accessed for information about scheduled Number Sense sessions and other programs designed for students, parents and the public.
- Fall 2018 Number Sense 1: Every Saturday from 12:45 pm to 1:45 pm, October 13th to December 8th. No class on November 10th. Download Fall Number Sense Poster
- Winter 2019 Number Sense 1: Every Saturday from 2 pm to 3 pm, January 19th to March 16th. No class on February 16th.
- Winter 2019 Number Sense 2: Every Saturday from 12:45 pm -1:45 pm, January 19th to March 16th. No class on February 16th.
- Spring 2019 Number Sense 1: Every Saturday from 9:15 am to 10:15 am, April 6th to June 8th. No class on April 20th or May 18th.
- Spring 2019 Number Sense 2: Every Saturday from 10:30 am to 11:30 am, April 6th to June 8th. No class on April 20th or May 18th.
The cost for the full 8 sessions is $300. GST will be added to the fee. A $50 deposit is required upon registration to hold a spot.
Contact the Centre for Literacy at 780-434-3698. Registration can be taken over the phone. Fees for Number Sense can be added, on a monthly basis, to the invoices of existing Centre for Literacy clients.